Friday, February 22, 2013

Baked Chicken Parmesan

I love Italian food, but the Italian food we tend to eat in the US tends to involve a lot of carbs, high-fat cheeses, and fried food.

Except for this baked chicken parmesan. It simple, tasty, and just as good as the fried version. I originally found this recipe on Skinnytaste.com, but made some changes to it to make it my own.

One whole chicken breast is a bit too much for me, so I usually cut mine into about a 5 oz serving (including cheese/sauce). Skinnytaste.com directs you to slice chicken breasts in half, but I was worried that it might make the chicken dry all the way through--so I haven't done it that way yet, but I may for next time.


Baked Chicken Parmesan (adapted from Gina's Skinny Recipes)

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/3-1/2 c breadcrumbs
1/8 c. shredded parmesan (approximately)
spray butter or olive oil cooking spray
1/3 c. part-skim grated mozzarrella (approximately)
1/2 c. marinara sauce (approximately)
1/2 tsp smoked paprika (optional)

Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan in a bowl. Lightly spray chicken with butter or cooking spray, then roll in breadcrumbs. Place on foil-lined baking sheet, and lightly spray top of chicken. Bake at 375-400 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn chicken over, and bake additional 5 minutes.

While chicken is baking, mix paprika with marinara sauce (optional). I used my homemade marinara sauce (I just avoided scooping up mushrooms), and the paprika added a delicious, smoky depth to this recipe.

Remove chicken from oven to spoon approximately 1 tablespoon of sauce over each piece and top with some mozzarella cheese. Bake 5 more minutes, or until cheese is melted.



I also made a baked spaghetti side dish, substituting--you guessed it--spaghetti squash for the noodles. Delicious! I'll be sure to post that recipe next!
Baked chicken parmesan, spaghetti baked squash, and bread with butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment