Monday, February 18, 2013

Mushroom Marinara Sauce and Zucchini "Noodles"

I think I've mentioned a few times that I love carbs--especially pasta and rice. ;) No matter how much I've cut back on my carb intake, sometimes all I really want is a bowl of spaghetti with marinara and/or meat sauce. My problem is that I can't eat "just" a serving of pasta...I always want more, plus I'll crave it for days afterwards. So, how can I still enjoy the comfort of a bowl of spaghetti?
Zucchini ribbons, sauce, and ground bison!

Zucchini and homemade marinara sauce!

Most jarred spaghetti sauces are pretty high in sodium, and some even taste overly ketchup-y to me, so I decided about a year ago to start experimenting to make my own. It makes quite a bit of sauce, but it freezes well, so I usually save some for use in other meals--such as the baked chicken parmesan that I had last weekend (will post that one soon!).

Cooked zucchini ribbons.
For the "pasta," I use ribbons of zucchini that I make with a regular vegetable peeler (although I want to buy a spiral slicer--like this one--to do this with); just boil some water and drop the zucchini ribbons in for 20-60 seconds, depending on the desired texture you're going for.

I need protein in my meals, so I usually brown either super-lean ground beef or ground bison and add 4 oz of the meat to my sauce and zucchini, plus a sprinkle of parmesan on top. Add a small piece of crusty bread and it's a hearty, comforting, low-carb dinner!


Mushroom Marinara Sauce

1 (28oz) can Italian plum tomatoes, peeled
2 tsp EVOO
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1/2 C-1C chopped mushrooms
1 1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp red wine
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 C fresh parsley, chopped

1) Saute garlic in EVOO, approx 15 seconds.
2) Add all ingredients except parsley. Break up tomatoes with wooden spoon.
3) Bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer 20 mins.
4) Remove from heat and stir in parsley

No comments:

Post a Comment