Saturday, December 17, 2011

The adventure begins...

...appropriately, with roasted string beans!

So, why String Beans & Skinny Jeans for the title of the blog? When I started the MRC diet plan, I had to give up my favorite vegetables: potatoes, corn, carrots, onions, and sweet peas. Other than those, I was kind of "meh" about most vegetables, so I really struggled, initially, with getting all of my required veggie servings in. At first, the only vegetable that I seemed to be able to eat a lot of without getting sick of it was string beans (a.k.a. green beans). The skinny jeans came in much, much later--when, after losing 83 lbs, I was able to fit into (and look good in!) my first-ever pair of skinny jeans.

Also, my husband, Ben, is the creative genius to come up with the fun title. All I could manage was some lame puns.

Anyway, in honor of the "gateway" vegetable that helped me lose weight, I thought it would only be appropriate to share one of my favorite and easy string bean recipes that I have tried.

I found this roasted string bean recipe on Gina's Skinny Taste, one of the blogs where I have gotten a lot of great, healthy recipes:

Roasted String Beans with Parmesan

Oil mister + olive oil
kosher or sea salt & pepper to taste
As many beans as you want to cook (I roasted about a pound of french string beans)
shaved parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line one or two baking sheets with aluminum foil. Put beans on baking sheets in one layer and spray with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Roast in oven for 10 minutes. Take the pans out and, using a spatula, flip as many beans as possible. (I tried just shaking the pan, but I don't recommend doing that unless you don't mind adding fiber to your dog's diet, as many of them ended up on my kitchen floor that way.) Put back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes, or until desired tenderness is reached.

Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve hot.


Mine went perfectly with a chunk of perfectly-grilled, juicy KC strip steak and a slice of caraway rye bread with Brummel spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment