Tuesday, December 20, 2011

MRC Texas Chili--Natalie Style

This Texas chili recipe is actually one that I got from the MRC diet center last year, but Ben and I like it so much better than other chilis we've made that this is now my "go-to" chili recipe. It is easy to make, warm, soupy, and pretty mild. It's also low-sodium, low-carb, low-fat...yet high in flavor.  Perfect for a cold night!

Traditionally, Texas chili does not have beans in it. Don't get me wrong, I really like beans--they are, after all, a magical fruit. Seriously, though, they are full of fiber and have some protein, so they're very good for you--but my diet considered beans to be a starch, so I generally didn't add beans to this chili when I was losing weight. Also, my husband prefers his chili without beans so... no beans in our chili. However, you're welcome to add beans to your chili...whatever makes you happy, I guess.

One final note on the ingredients: this recipe calls for 2 packets of a tomato basil soup supplement. This was something I purchased through my diet center, but it is also available online. And actually, the supplement is pretty good, so I still use it whenever I make this chili. However, if you don't need/want the added protein from this supplement, you can substitute 2 cups of low-sodium tomato juice.

MRC Texas Chili

Ingredients
1 lb ground bison (or 96% lean beef or ground turkey)
3-4 green onions, chopped
1 smallish red pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped mushrooms (I used baby portabellas)
3/4 can Hunt's No Salt Added Diced Tomatoes
2 Tomato Basil supplement packets, dissolved in 2 cups of water
          OR 2 cups tomato juice
4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup kidney beans (OPTIONAL)

Brown meat in large skillet or saucepan. Remove meat from pan & set aside. Drain grease from meat/pan.


Add vegetables and saute until tender. Add tomato basil supplement (or tomato juice). Sprinkle chili powder and garlic powder and stir well. Add diced tomatoes and mix.
Yes, the supplement looks pink at first...

I usually measure out about 4 oz of the meat into a bowl and then add a few spoonfuls of veggies and liquid on top before putting the remaining meat into the saucepan for my husband to serve himself from.  However, feel free (unless you're into weighing/measuring your food) to put the meat back into the saucepan and mix well before serving.

I also usually eat mine with a sprinkle of shredded cheddar and a few saltine crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment