Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mediterranean Tilapia

I actually made this for dinner last weekend, but it's been crazy-busy at work this week, so I haven't had a chance to post until tonight.

I originally picked up this recipe from the meat counter at our local Baker's grocery store about a year ago while waiting to be helped. It sounded interesting, and it tasted delicious. It has now become a staple in our household for when I want some lean, tasty fish.

The original recipe calls for onions, too, but I never used them because they were restricted on my diet plan in the past...and I just never got around to trying it with onions. If you decide to include onions, saute them with the garlic.  The recipe also didn't call for capers, but I thought capers sounded like a good match for this dish, and it turns out they are. :)

Enjoy!

Mediterranean Tilapia

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 can diced tomatoes, drained (I use Hunt's No Salt Added)
1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
2 tbspn chopped fresh parsley (or 1/2 tbspn dried parsley)
1 (or 1 1/2) tbspn capers
1 1/4 lbs tilapia fillets (2 good-size fillets)
Sea salt & cracked pepper to taste

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic; saute until softened.


Add wine, tomatoes, olives, and parsley; simmer 5 minutes.  Add fillets and capers to skillet; simmer 5-10 minutes or until fish turns white and flakes easily with a fork.



 Season to taste with salt and pepper.  I usually serve mine over about 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa, with a side of steamed broccoli or sauteed zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment