Monday, January 30, 2012

Stuffed Pepper Soup

So, I've been wanting another soup and decided to try the Stuffed Pepper Soup recipe over at Gina's Skinnytaste.

Somehow, I managed to select a 60-degree day in January (!!?!) to make it--but even though it's not a cold day, the soup was still wonderful and hit the spot.

I followed the recipe pretty closely, except that I used a full cup of chopped red pepper--instead of just a half-cup--because I really like red pepper and I was hoping to also add to the total veggie count in the recipe. Also, i added some worcestershire sauce, which really added to the rich flavor of the soup, in my opinion. FYI, my calorie count (see bottom of post for nutrition info) will be a little different from the Skinnytaste version because I used slightly leaner beef and unsalted tomatoes, sauce, and broth. :)

Here it is!

Stuffed Pepper Soup

Ingredients
3 cups cooked brown rice (I used Uncle Ben's boil-in-bag)
1 lb 96% lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup finely diced onion
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cans (14.5 oz each) petite diced tomatoes (I used Hunt's No Salt Added)
1 3/4 cups tomato sauce (I used Contadina's)
2 cups reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth (I used Kitchen Basics Unsalted)
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
salt and fresh pepper to taste



In a large pot or dutch oven, brown ground meat on high heat and season with salt. Drain fat, if any, reduce heat to medium-low, then add peppers, onions and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes on low heat.

Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, marjoram, worcestershire, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Serve about 1 1/3 cups of soup in each bowl and top with 1/2 cup cooked brown rice.


Nutritional Info:
(Soup Without Rice)
Calories: 178        Fat: 3g     Sodium: 489mg       Carb: 16.27g     Fiber: 5g        Protein: 20.68g

1/2 cup Uncle Ben's brown boil-in-bag rice:
Calories: 85       Fat: <1g     Sodium: 0mg         Carb: 18g         Fiber: 1g        Protein: 2g

No comments:

Post a Comment